Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thumb-Sucker no more!

I have been waiting 1949 days.
That is 5 years, 4 months & 3 days

•168,393,600 seconds
•2,806,560 minutes
•46,776 hours
•278 weeks

to make this announcement.

In the beginning, it never really bothered me that miss Macie sucked her thumb. I sucked mine as a child. If anything, I was grateful because it was a good sign that she was either hungry, or tired. Then, she grew to love her pink blankie, which later turned brown...from taking it everywhere and washing it so much. When she was 3, I thought it was time to get rid of the embarassing once upon a time pink blanket, so I hid it. She never did find it, but instead, found a purple one as its replacement. CRAP!

So, then we just let her do her thing for 2 more years....

Just the other day a friend of mine came over. Brittany and Jared told her that her nose was getting "crooked" from sucking her thumb and so were her teeth and smile. Eeekkk...this scared her! I ran with it. I proceeded to show her a picture of their niece, who was a thumb sucker, and had a real jaggety smile. I also introduced her to: MR YUK STUFF! I knew she was really ready when she gave Khloe her purple blanket and said, "I don't need this anymore!"


Then, I told her that if she sucked her thumb it would make her so so so sick and it would make her throw up and her nose would continue to get more crooked. I also followed it with the fact that if she still sucked, we would have to take her to the dr and he would put a pokey thing in her mouth and anytime she tried to suck her thumb, it would poke her and make her bleed. I am so mean. I painted a real ugly scary story. BUT, it worked and she is no longer a thumb sucker!

I have always told her she couldn't go to the big school to be in kindergarten if she sucked her thumb. I didn't want her to get teased. However, how could I follow through on that one!!!! NOW, I don't have to make threats because she is cured!!!











Thats right, a thumb sucker - no more!!!

7 comments:

amber buhrley said...

Awesome! Congrats. At least she looked cute doing it.

Erin said...

That's awesome!

Hey Dave, my mom saw you on a cruise last week. She thought this guy was you and stalked him around the ship trying to figure out if it was you. She finally talked to him and learned it obviously wasn't you but got a picture with him. My mom's kind of weird like that.

This pic is from her Facebook page. I'm not sure if the link will work, but here it is so you can see your look-a-like (I don't really see the resemblance but whatever):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1266710&id=1025968390&fbid=1437457889546#!/photo.php?pid=1266764&id=1025968390&fbid=1437462409659

Skinner Family said...

oh crap! Makiah sucks her thumb at any site of her sippy cup or if she is tired, and sometimes when she is just walking around. so pretty much 80% of the time! so in a few years i guess i may be investing in the thumb gross stuff!

Malaree said...

oh sad... you are mean ha ha! I have been trying to get Kayson's binky away from him, but my dad says that he won't want it anymore after he goes to Kindergarten with it the first time!

Amberlee said...

Nice job! I would have just told her that I was gonna cut off the thumb. Good thing I was not there to make up the thumb story.

brit said...

Deacon is a thumb sucker....and Im a sucker for him sucking. I realize that I will pay BIG time some day.....but its just SO DANG CUTE!

Maegan said...

Lol, My Asher was a finger sucker and reading this post brought back so many memories! Although I tried everything with him including that yuck Thum stuff, he would like it and say yum yum! I tried everything and nothing worked, he too was over five before I threatened him too that he wouldn't be able to go to the big school... that cured it! So sad we have to threaten and lie to our children but whatever works, right?? :) I will admit it was so cute when he sucked his finger as a newborn but lesson learned!