Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SOJO 1/2 Marathon!

Twas time for a girls trip to Utah. I was looking forward to the weekend in Salt Lake to see family and hang with friends and relax. The real purpose of the trip was to run the SOJO - a 1/2 marathon. The race had the word marathon in it, which really equals 13.1 miles.


I brought miss Macie with me so she could hang with her bestie cousin Cali!


It was also pretty great to get to meet my newest niece Quinn!


The day finally arrived, after little to no sleep. For some reason the anxiety totally got the best of me and I had a really crappy night. My mind kept "racing" and I was unable to fully just relax and dream the night away. I was scared.

I remember thinking as I was on the bus heading to the start line, "How did this happen? Really, when did I truly decide to RUN a 1/2 marathon?" I don't really remember how it came to be. All my friends up here in Idaho run. So, Natalie and I decided that if we wanted to join in on any conversations, it would require some work. The running began.

Fast forward 4 months and I was off to run my first race... all 13.1 miles of it!

I felt great. The adrenaline kicked in and I was pushing myself and going faster than I normally run. I was maintaining a good pace. I felt like all the training I had done was worth it. I had new music on my ipod and I was in a happy place! The water stops were often and I felt so good that at mile 9 I passed on the water. I didn't realize there wouldn't be water until mile 12 and I was struggling through, but I kept on running.


And I even finished, which was my only goal!



It was even better to run across the finish line to see my favorite girlies holding these pieces of art!




What a great support I had at the end. I struggled through that last mile, and it was so rewarding to see the people that mean the most to me when I felt so weak.


Thanks to my mom for driving all that way and with her own personalized medal to give me - thanks again mom for the necklace, it means a lot to me!


And these girls right here are total rock stars and we all had something to cheer about!


See. We did it and we all have the shirts to prove it!



I feel so much stronger for it - I would even do it again!



11 comments:

Andersons said...

Look at you and your big guns! You ARE a rockstar!!

Kristi Hamilton said...

You go girl! That is awesome, congrats my friend.

Amberlee said...

First of all I could kill you for posting my FAT after baby picture, but since you are helping me to look like you I may forgive you. What a superwoman you are. I still am inspired by you and hope to become more like you when I grow up. AWESOME post. Thanks again for letting Mace stay, we loved it.

MamaMags said...

totally awsome post! It was the best weekend I've had in a long time! Hopefully I can get my blog updated this weekend. I know, you are waiting with baited breath, it is ALWAYS so exciting to read about my ho hum life.....

Anonymous said...

You ROCK! Thats all I need to say.
Oh bye the way - awesome guns!!!

Anonymous said...

You ROCK! Thats all I need to say.
Oh bye the way - awesome guns!!!

Connie said...

Good for you! I'm not sure where the summer went. We never fit in a half marathon. We are doing the Painter Motor one in St. George in January. You'll have to do that one too. Las Vegas Ragnar sounds like fun. We were tempted when we didn't get into last years Wasatch Back. Let me know how it goes and hurry and register for the Wasatch Back!

krista said...

way to go! isn't that a great feeling to finish after all that hard work training? looks like fun.

and jackson has afternoon kindergarten too, so let's do lunch. soon.

Christina P. said...

What the crap is that in the last picture? Is that a ....MUSCLE? Woot Woot! You really are a fitness queen! Lookin good my friend!

Maegan said...

That is awesome! Good job! You look like a natural :) Your sister looks so cute and she has another little baby... love the name. Tell her hi for me!

skbkmjfamily said...

I did not know you knew Tiffanie T. She is my hair dresser and friend. Crazy small world. Awesome job, no wonder I saw you out running. Great Job